Alberta Superintendent of Insurance
The Office of the Superintendent of Insurance regulates and creates policy for the insurance market in the province to ensure that Albertans have affordable access to the insurance coverage they require, by monitoring the effectiveness of the market, and responding to the needs of the province and its citizens.
See the menu to your left for more information about
Insurance, or use the quick links below to access highlighted topics.
February 14, 2018 - Updated Superintendent of Insurance Interpretation Bulletin
- See Superintendent of Insurance Interpretation Bulletin 01-2018 - Review of the Automobile Insurance Rate Board (AIRB).
The purpose of this interpretation bulletin is to provide clarification regarding Treasury Board and Finance’s review of the Automobile Insurance Rate Board (AIRB). The bulletin was updated on February 14, 2018 to extend the deadline for request for proposal submissions to February 28, 2018.
February 8, 2018 - Insurance List Updated
- Insurers, Reciprocal Insurance Exchanges, and Fraternal Societies - Licensed in Alberta
This list includes Insurance Classes, Attorney for Service (the person delegated to accept service of legal papers), and contact information for Complaint Liaison Officers.
January 30, 2018 - Superintendent of Insurance Supervisory Framework
- The Alberta Superintendent of Insurance has released the Supervisory Framework, available on the OSFI Guidelines page. This framework was implemented in January 2013, and is reviewed every three years or as needed, based on development of supervisory practices, regulations and the risks identified as a result of the supervisory work.
January 11, 2018 - Register updated
December 21, 2017 - New Superintendent of Insurance Interpretation Bulletin
- See Superintendent of Insurance Interpretation Bulletin 03-2017 – Minor Injury Regulation – Annual Increase in Amount for Non-Pecuniary Damages. This bulletin provides information regarding the amendment to the minor injury amount, calculated in accordance with the Minor Injury Regulation (regulation), effective January 1, 2018.
December 14, 2017 - Insurance List Updated
- Insurers, Reciprocal Insurance Exchanges, and Fraternal Societies - No Longer Licensed in Alberta
This list includes those that have withdrawn, amalgamated or changed names. Licences are issued on a calendar year basis (January 1 to December 31).
December 5, 2017 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2017 Third Quarter reports added.
October 17, 2017 - Superintendent of Insurance Bulletin 02-2017 - Unlicensed Insurance
- The purpose of Interpretation Bulletin 02-2017 is to provide clarification on the requirements for disclosure of unlicensed insurance in accordance with the Insurance Act. See related web page.
August 25, 2017 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2017 Second Quarter reports added.
August 23, 2017 - Register updated
August 9, 2017 - Register updated
August 1, 2017 - Superintendent of Insurance 2016 Annual Business Report