System downtime notice:
In June 2008, Alberta passed the Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act and Regulation. Both came into force on September 1, 2008.
The legislation establishes a service to Albertans who have lost track of property as a result of business or personal circumstances. A central registry administered by Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA):
- provides a searchable directory for unclaimed property,
- facilitates the processing of claims to reunite owners with their property, and
- establishes clear and centralized administration for the management of property that comes under the control of the Crown.
For additional general information about this program, see FAQs and Information Circular UP-1. You can use the left-side menu above for more information from the perspective of a claimant or a holder. See the quick links below for more news and other highlighted topics.
Some of the documents on this site may be in PDF format. You need Acrobat Reader to open PDF documents. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, you may download this free program.
April 28, 2017
Quick Guide for Unclaimed Property Holders
- Unclaimed Property Holder Reporting Quick Guide has been added.
November 30, 2016
Unclaimed Property Overview Presentation
- The Overview of Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property (UPPVPA) Program (pdf) has been updated.
November 5, 2016
Unclaimed Property Upload File Format Requirements, and Holder Report XSD file updated
Please note: Effective November 5, 2016, changes to the File Format Requirements have been made. The Holder’s Contact Email Address field is now mandatory and the Amount Remitted and Date Remitted fields have been removed. See the links below for the updated documents.
- Upload File Format Requirements (pdf) - This document provides the file format, field definitions and additional instructions for unclaimed property holders to create their own files for upload.
- Holder Report XSD File (.xsd format) - This XSD (XML Schema Definition) file must be used by the holder to validate and test each XML file to ensure it conforms to TRA's business rules and formatting requirements prior to uploading and submitting the file.
August 13, 2015
New Special Notice
- Special Notice Vol 9. No. 4, Extension of Abandonment Period for Securities and Contents of Safety Deposit Boxes
December 18, 2014
New Special Notice