Information for Property Holders
In June 2008, Alberta passed the Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act (UPPVPA) and Regulation. Both came into force on September 1, 2008. The legislation establishes a service to Albertans who have lost track of property as a result of business or personal circumstances.
For maintenance reasons, the "submit property" web page will not be
Notice: security update that may affect your ability to access the "submit property" function of the Unclaimed Property website:
Effective November 5, 2016, Treasury Board and Finance (TBF) no longer allows Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 or TLS 1.1 encryption protocol. We are doing this to protect the privacy of information passing between your web browser and our servers. If your web browser does not meet our security requirement, please upgrade your browser to a version that supports TLS 1.2 in order to continue to access TBF’s online services.
- Vol. 9 No. 4 - Extension of Abandonment Period for Securities and Contents of Safety Deposit Boxes
- Vol. 9 No. 3 - Amendment to the General Regulation: Securities and Contents of Safety Deposit Boxes
- UP-1R1 - General Information (Mar-12)
- UP-2R2 - Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act Property Holders (Mar-12)
Holders can report unclaimed property using our online process.
Holders may use the web form submission process to report small numbers of properties, or the XML File Upload process to report large numbers of property. The choice is theirs. Holders may also remit the cash value of the properties using an internet online payment service available through most major financial institutions. Click here to Submit Property or Money that belongs to someone else and follow the prompts.
Please note: Effective November 5, 2016, changes to the File Format Requirements have been made. The Holder’s Contact Email Address field is now mandatory and the Amount Remitted and Date Remitted fields have been removed. See the links below for the updated documents.
- Upload File Format Requirements (pdf) (updated Nov-16)
This document provides the file format, field definitions and additional instructions for unclaimed property holders to create their own files for upload.
- Holder Report XSD File (.xsd format) (updated Nov-16)
This XSD (XML Schema Definition) file must be used by the holder to validate and test each XML file to ensure it conforms to TRA's business rules and formatting requirements prior to uploading and submitting the file.
System downtime notice:
- For maintenance reasons, the "submit property" web page will not be available on the first working day of each month from 5:30 p.m. to midnight.