What We Recruit To
Information on Education, Experience and Competencies
Listed below is general information about what we recruit to at Treasury Board and Finance. The specific qualifications and experience requirements for a position can be found in the posting for the competition.
While technical skills are an important part of the selection decision, at Treasury Board and Finance we have an interest in ensuring that there is a fit between the employee and the organization and that there is alignment of values.
We are looking for people who exemplify the values of Treasury Board and Finance in the way that they approach their work. People who:
- Are truthful, open and ethical in carrying out their responsibilities;
- Provide effective, timely service delivery of the highest standard while continuously pursuing innovation;
- Are high performers, and contribute to an atmosphere of creative thinking and learning;
- Build and sustain quality relationships through openness, fair treatment and by recognizing individuals and team contributions.
Previous successful applicants have had educational backgrounds including:
- Bachelor of Arts (General, Business, Economics, Human Resources, Political Science)
- Bachelor of Commerce/Business Administration (General, Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Systems, Public Administration)
- Bachelor of Laws (General)
- Bachelor of Science (Actuarial, Computer Science, Mathematics)
- College Diploma (Accounting, Business, Computer Science, Human Resources, Information Technology, Office Administration, Secretarial)
- Master of Arts (Economics, Human Resources, Political Science)
- Master of Business Administration (General, Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Public Administration)
- Master of Science (Actuarial, Computer Science, Mathematics)
And/or the following professional designations:
- Chartered Accountant and Certified General Accountant
- Certified Management Accountant
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- Canadian Securities Course
Previous successful applicants have had related experience including:
- Budget and business planning
- Economic analysis and forecasting
- Investment management
- Human resources
A competency is any attitude, skill, behavior, motive or other personal characteristic that is essential to perform a job, or more importantly, to differentiate superior performers from solid performers. At Treasury Board and Finance we are looking for people who demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability - personal willingness and ability to effectively work in, and adapt to change.
- Client Focus - understanding and meeting or exceeding client needs. Clients are those groups or individuals, internal or external who use the organization’s products or services.
- Communication - clearly conveying and receiving messages to meet the needs of all. This may involve listening, interpreting, formulating and delivering: verbal, non-verbal, written, and/or electronic messages.
- Organizational Awareness - understands the structure and culture of the organization.
- Problem Solving and Judgment - ability to assess options and implications, in order to identify a solution.
- Results Orientation - knowing what results are important, focusing resources to achieve them in alignment with the goals of the organization.
- Teamwork - working co-operatively and productively with others to achieve results.