Information for Consumers
Click here for a pdf version of this page.
- Before a loss occurs, it is important to work with your insurance broker or insurance company to understand your policy. Ask them what's covered and what's not.
- If a disaster happens in the future, insurance companies will be expected to honour their contractual obligations. But they are not expected to cover anything not set out in your policy.
- While sewer backup coverage is generally available to Albertans, losses caused by overland flooding (such as excess rainfall runoff) are not usually covered.
- Prevention is always the best strategy. Check out the Insurance Bureau of Canada's website (www.ibc.ca) for tips on how to flood-proof your home.
- If you're not happy with your current insurance coverage, shop around. You may be able to find a better fit elsewhere.
Page last updated: January 18, 2017