Information for Consumers - Property Insurance
- Before a loss occurs, it is important to work with your insurance broker or insurance company to understand your policy. Ask them what's covered and what's not.
- If a disaster happens in the future, insurance companies will be expected to honour their contractual obligations. But they are not expected to cover anything not set out in your policy.
- Sewer backup coverage is generally available to Albertans, and many insurers now offer coverage for losses caused by overland flooding (such as excess rainfall runoff).
- Prevention is always the best strategy. See the Insurance Bureau of Canada's website (www.ibc.ca) for tips on how to prepare for disasters, including water-related.
- If you're not happy with your current insurance coverage, shop around. You may be able to find a better fit elsewhere.
These pages may be of interest to you:
- Floods and Insurance
- Wildfires and Insurance
- Getting your Insurance Claim Settled: Know your Options
Page last updated: August 28, 2018