Floods and Insurance

Before a flood

Review your property insurance policies — call your insurance company or broker if you have questions about your coverage. You can also change insurance companies if you do not feel that your current insurance policies meet your needs.

There are preventative tips to reduce the risks associated with flooding, such as:

  • moving valuable items from your basement to higher levels in your home
  • clear eavestroughs and downspouts — if safe to do so — to direct water away from your home
  • asking someone to check your property if you are away

Additional resources:

Back to Top

After a flood

First steps to take if you have property damage:

  • contact your insurance company;
  • take photos to document the damage; and
  • keep any receipts for expenses incurred from flooding.

Back to Top

Overland flooding

Overland flooding happens when water overflows onto dry land and causes damage.

Some insurance companies are now providing overland flood insurance. In those cases where overland flood insurance is not readily and reasonably available, the Disaster Recovery Program may still be available to eligible Albertans. The Alberta government encourages all homeowners, tenants, and small business owners to contact their insurance companies to find out what options are available to best protect them from disasters.

Water damage from a sewer backup may be covered (subject to limits and exclusions) if specific sewer backup coverage has been purchased. Property insurance is not a mandated product, like basic automobile insurance, so each insurance company will have its own policy wording and coverage limits to consider for each claim. Contact your broker or insurance company to review your policy.

The government expects all insurance companies to honour the contracts they have with their customers. Insurance companies will not be expected to go above and beyond their contractual obligations, as some voluntarily chose to do following the 2013 Southern Alberta floods.

Back to Top

Vehicle damage

Damage to vehicles from water is usually covered on an auto insurance policy if you have purchased physical damage coverage. This coverage is not mandatory - review your auto insurance policy and contact your insurance company.

Back to Top


If you have questions about your insurance company, contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada's Consumer Information Centre:

Back to Top

Claim disputes

Please see our web page: Getting your Insurance Claim Settled: Know your Options.

Back to Top

Links to insurance resources

Back to Top

Disaster Recovery Programs

Disaster recovery programs (DRPs) provide financial assistance for uninsurable property damage, loss and other expenses after an extraordinary event. Municipalities apply for DRP on behalf of residents.

Back to Top

Preparing for emergencies and emergency updates

For information, please refer to the Government of Alberta web pages below:

Back to Top


Page last updated:  August 28, 2018