Tax and Revenue Administration - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Corporate Income Tax FAQs - Net File
Net File for Alberta Corporate Income Tax
Effective July 8, 2011, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) offers Alberta corporate income tax filers the option of filing returns in electronic format. See the FAQs below, or more information here: Corporate Income Tax - Net File.
- Who can net file an Alberta corporate income tax return?
- What are the benefits for net filing my Alberta corporate income tax return?
- Do I need a special access code or registration number to file my Alberta corporate income tax return?
- What are the hours of service?
- Which software can be used to net file my Alberta corporate income tax return?
- How do I make a payment when I have a balance owing?
- Where can I find my Alberta Corporate Account Number?
- Will I still need to submit paper documents?
- Who do I contact for further information or assistance?
Any corporation that meets the following criteria will be eligible to net file its Alberta corporate income tax return:
- the return has a valid Alberta Corporate Account Number,
- the taxation year ends after December 31, 2007, and
- the return being net filed is not an amended return.
- Immediate confirmation – A confirmation number will be issued to you verifying that TRA has received your return.
- Faster processing – Your return will be processed faster than a return sent through the mail. You will receive your notice of assessment and any refunds owed you by TRA sooner.
- Cost savings – Filing in electronic format allows you to save the cost of handling, printing and mailing of paper returns.
- Convenience – Extended hours of service will be available for submission of net filed returns.
Do I need a special access code or registration number to file my Alberta corporate income tax return?
- No. There is no access code or registration needed to net file your Alberta corporate income tax return.
- The current net file service is available from 07:00 to 24:00 (7 a.m. to midnight) Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- Daily scheduled down-time for system maintenance is between 24:01 to 06:59 (12:01 – 6:59 a.m.) MST, and on Sunday from 07:00 to 17:00 (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.) MST.
- The net filed return must be generated and submitted using TRA-certified tax return preparation software. For a list of certified software offering net file capability, go to Software Certified for AT1 Net File Return Format for 2008 and Subsequent Taxation Years. Please refer to each software product for specific system requirements, instructions, and procedures on preparation and submission of returns in net file format.
- Refer to the Making Payments section of Taxes and Rebates, General Information.
- If you are a new corporation, your company’s Alberta Corporate Account Number (CAN) is given on the Certificate of Incorporation document you received from the Corporate Registry office. If this document is not available, contact the Corporate Registry office at 780-427-7013 (option 4), or toll-free within Alberta, dial 310-0000 followed by 780-427-7013 (option 4).
- If you have previously filed an Alberta corporate income tax return with TRA, you can find your Alberta Corporate Account Number on any previous notice of assessment or reassessment or statement of account. If these documents are no longer available, please refer to the contact information referred to above for new corporations.
- If you need more assistance, contact TRA at 780-427-3044 or toll-free within Alberta, dial 310-0000 followed by 780-427-3044, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have successfully filed the corporate income tax return online, do not send any paper copy to TRA. Your online confirmation number is the proof that TRA has already received your return.
- If you include an Alberta Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Tax Credit - Schedule 9 in the net filed Alberta corporate income tax return package, the corporation will not be required to file the corresponding "Listing of SR&ED Projects Claimed in Alberta" (AT4960). However, during a review or audit of the return, TRA staff may request you to provide the completed "Listing of SR&ED Projects Claimed in Alberta" in paper format.
- If you have already purchased tax return preparation software, your software developer would be your first point of contact for support. Each software product has specific system requirements, instructions, and procedures on preparation and submission of returns in net file format.
- The ECOM Help Desk is operated by TRA and provides technical support on web based/electronic applications for all TRA external stakeholders. To reach the ECOM Help Desk:
The current hours of service are from 08:15 to 12:00 p.m. and 13:00 to 16:30 (1:00 – 4:30 p.m.) Mountain Standard Time, Monday to Friday, except government holidays. For after-hours support, you have the option of leaving a voicemail.
Administrative questions about making payments to TRA, corporate income tax and insurance premiums tax:
HOLIDAY CLOSURE INFORMATION: See holiday closure dates.
MAIL: Tax and Revenue Administration
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
9811 - 109 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2L5
PHONE: 780-427-3044 - Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Toll free within Alberta: dial 310-0000, then 780-427-3044.