Tax & Revenue Administration - Making Payments

Payment methods

To make a payment for these programs to Tax and Revenue Administration, you may:

Electronic Payment - pay online through your Financial Institution

Electronic payment is a fast, easy, convenient and secure way to pay your corporate or commodity taxes using the Government Tax Payment and Filing Service, which has been established at most financial institutions. You must make arrangements with your bank first before you can use this service. Once it has been set up, you can pay your corporate or commodity taxes using your financial institution’s online banking platform.

How to use electronic payment to pay your Alberta taxes and levies
Click here for a video describing how to use Electronic Payment
to pay your Alberta corporate and commodity taxes and levies

Payments can be made through Electronic Payment for the following taxes / levies, through the financial institutions listed below. Please click on the appropriate link or contact your bank or TelPay for Business for more information.

Need additional assistance or have questions about Electronic payment?
Please contact Tax and Revenue Administration at:



Back to Top

Pay online using a Credit card

    • All Tax Programs

      Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) does not directly offer the option of paying taxes using a credit card. However, to pay by credit card you may be able to use a third-party service provider. These providers will charge you a fee for their service. The following third-party service provider offers this service to Alberta taxpayers:

      Plastiq Inc.

      Avoid late fees! Even if you pay today, TRA may not receive your payment today. The transfer will typically take place within two to three business days. However, you may encounter additional delays. Please contact the third-party service provider for more information.

      You are responsible for making sure TRA receives your payment by the due date. If you are using a third-party service provider, you must clearly understand the terms and conditions of the service you are using. The effective date of receipt of your payment is the date TRA's account is credited. TRA may charge you penalties or interest or both if your payment is late.

    • IFTA renewal fees

      For International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) renewal fees, there are two options for paying by credit card.  You may pay by credit card through our Tax and Revenue Administration Client Self-service (TRACS) system. There are no transaction costs, but you must be first registered with TRACS. Go to TRACS for more information. You may also pay your IFTA renewal fees by credit card through a third party service provider as listed above. Please note these providers generally charge a transaction fee for this service.

Back to Top

Pay using wire transfer

Please note that only non-residents who do not have a Canadian bank account can pay using wire transfer.  

Back to Top

Pay by mail or in person

You may mail, courier or hand-deliver cheques and money orders (payable to the Government of Alberta), to TRA between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except government holidays.

Any cash payment in excess of the amount owing will be credited to the taxpayer’s account, as the reception desk no longer provides change. Please note that as of September 1, 2016, Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) no longer accepts cash payments of taxes, levies and fees. TRA will accept payment by debit card in person at the following address:

Tax and Revenue Administration
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
9811 - 109 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2L5

To ensure that your payment is correctly processed, please write the following information on the back of the cheque or money order: 

  • your Alberta Corporate Account Number and/or Business Identification Number (BIN) (e.g., 123456789) and
  • the reporting period or tax year of your payment.

Post-dated cheques are acceptable.  Please allow sufficient time for mailing, as with the exception of post-dated cheques, we consider the date of payment for interest calculation purposes to be the date we receive the payment, not the date of mailing. Do not send cash in the mail.

Back to Top

Pay at your financial institution

Present the required original TRA remittance advice and your payment to the teller.  (Photocopies of the remittance advice form are not accepted.)

Back to Top

Remittance advices

We will automatically send you the appropriate remittance advice based on your account status and needs, along with your Statement of Account as applicable.  If you need more remittance advices, please call us at 780-427-3044 (toll free within Alberta: 310-0000-780-427-3044) and select option 3.  Financial institutions will not accept photocopied remittance advices.

Back to Top

Minimal amounts

You do not have to pay a balance of less than $20 that you may owe after we process your return and add any interest or penalty charges.

Back to Top

Payments made in error to Canada Revenue Agency

There is no process for transferring payments of Alberta corporate taxes made to Canada Revenue Agency in error.

For further information about payment of corporate taxes refer to paragraphs 17 through 19 of Information Circular CT-3, Alberta Corporate Tax Instalments.  For more detailed information relating to Alberta corporate taxes, see the CT series of information circulars.

Back to Top

Page last updated:  July 26, 2018